Help for EIZ
- What is the Portal PEZ?
- How are distinguished the resources available?
- According to what criteria are resources sorted?
- How to search in PEZ Portal?
- What is the difference between direct and remote access?
- What is Shibboleth?
- I am studying / working on multiple faculties. Should I make some further adjustments?
- I can not log in, what do I do?
- Direct access is not work, what should I do?
- A resource is not available for my faculty. How should I proceed?
- I have logged in via Shibboleth and access does not work. What might be wrong?
- What meaning have shortcuts used on the PEZ Portal?
- A database is available at Charles University, but I can't get the full text of a particular article. What is the problem?
- Are there any guidelines for remote access?
- What meaning has icons used at the Portal?
- What is SFX link resolver?
- What information sources are supported by the SFX link resolver?
- How does the SFX resolver work?
- Can I get more informations about SFX?
1. What is the Portal PEZ?
Charles University Electronic Information Resources Portal (hereinafter PEZ) provides access to electronic information resources in science and research, which are open to staff, students and users of the University.
2. How are distinguished the resources available?
Resources are divided into:
- licensed resources – access is based upon license contract with database vendor or provider. Access is available for students and academic staff of the University. Specific resources are available also to external registered users - if enabled by license contracts and vendors
- trials – resources available for testing, usually for short period of time
- free resources – available freely for public use
3. According to what criteria are resources sorted?
Resources are sorted by different ways:
- alphabetically - it shows all accessible resources in alphabetical order
- by faculty - it shows resources availabale for particular exact faculty in alphabetical order
- by subject - it shows resources vailable pro particular subject in alphabetical sequence
- trials - resources for checking-out, eventually for purchasing. You are welcome to give us your feedback regarding trials
4. How to search in PEZ Portal?
There are four types of search:
- eResources - searching within the Portal of resources by name or characteristics,
- eJournals - searching for an e-journal by name at the University eJournals Portal,
- eBooks - searching for an e-book by name at the University eBooks Portal,
- UKAŽ - keyword searching for documents name at the University discovery service UKAŽ
5. What is the difference between direct and remote access?
Therw are two kinds of access:
- direct access - use in case if you are working with computer connected to the network of the Charles University. The system will connect you automatically. You do not need any ID or password. This access is available from all public computers at Charles University, for all registered users (staff, students) connected by their notebooks.
- remote access - use in case if you are working with computer out of reach of the University network. Primary method for remote access is institutional login/Shibboleth, back-up method is proxy/EZproxy.
6. What is Shibboleth?
Shibboleth based remote access - institutional login is a technology, which provides mechanisms for authentication in a computer network. It is supported at Charles University and allows remote access to selected electronic information resources outside the university network.
By now there are available resources from Ovid, EBSCO and Web of Science, Elsevier Science Direct and Scopus, WilsonWeb, Cambridge Jounals, British Medical Journals and ebrary. We are expecting to be supported more resources in near future. Resources which support Shibboleth have this icon .
You do not need any extra settings to use remote access (Shibboleth)
In some cases, you will have to choose following data about Charles University before signing up. For Charles University the following applies:
Region (group): eduID.cz (Czech academic identity federation)
Institution: Charles University
7. I am studying / working on multiple faculties. Should I make some further adjustments?
Due to incomplete implementation of Shibboleth standard by some service providers (inf. resources) is not possible to use the so-called multiple roles (affiliations), as in the case of overlapping studies of more than one faculty or employment in parallel with the study. Therefore, the user must choose her/his primary role, which will be sent to the service provider. Settings can be changed anytime and is active again after logging in to the resource. Settings interface is availabe at CAS UK server - its URL is https://ldap.cuni.cz. Then, follow the pictures.
8. I can not log in, what do I do?
Possible reasons why you can not log in:
|You have to know your university personal number and password.||Try to log in and read all howtos and FAQs at CAS - Charles University Authentication Service.|
|You are trying to log in to the resource, not subscribed at Charles University.||Check if your desired resource is being subscribed in resources overview of Portal PEZ.|
|Some of services suffered an outage.||Contact us, please.|
|Some recources are available with direct access only - in the library.||Come personally to the library who licensed your desired resource or contact library staff for more info..|
9. Direct access is not work, what should I do?
You can test whether your computer is using an IP address from the Charles University IP address range. Link to test page is here.
10. A resource is not available for my faculty. How should I proceed?
Some information resources may be licensed only for a specific faculty. If you are studying or have employed at faculty that does not provide access to the resource, you have the following options:
- visit the library (Centre for Scientific Information) of faculty where the source is prepaid and enjoy access at the site. Here we offer list of Charles University libraries in Czech,
- ask library staff of your faculty library (Centre of Scientific Information) to subscribe access or delivery of copies of the desired article,
- use remote access services of library outside of Charles University - registration to the library is required.
11. I have logged in via Shibboleth and access does not work. What might be wrong?
There may be more reasons why you can not get access to the desired content even after successful logging in:
- resource currently does not work - try logging in later or contact technical support of the required resource or contact us using the form,
- resource via Shibboleth does not work - use remote access via EZproxy or contact us using the form.
12. What meaning have shortcuts used on the PEZ Portal?
List of abbreviations at Charles University:
|CERGE||Center for Economic Research & Graduate Education|
|COZP||Charles University Environmental Centre|
|CTS||Center for Theoretical Study|
|ETF||Protestant Theological Faculty|
|EIS||European Information Centre of Charles University|
|FHS||Faculty of Humanities|
|FSV||Faculty of Social Sciences|
|FTVS||Faculty of Physical Education and Sport|
|FAF||Faculty of Pharmacy in Hradec Králové|
|FF||Faculty of Arts|
|FF-KFS||Faculty of Arts - Film Studies Department|
|FF-KP||Faculty of Arts - Department of Psychology|
|FF-KSP||Faculty of Arts - Department of Social Work|
|FF-UDLV||Faculty of Arts - Institute of East Asian Studies|
|FF-UISK||Faculty of Arts - Institute of Information Studies and Librarianship|
|FF-UP||Faculty of Arts - Institute of Political Science|
|HTF||Hussite Theological Faculty|
|1. LF||1st Faculty of Medicine|
|2. LF||2nd Faculty of Medicine/td>|
|3. LF||3rd Faculty of Medicine|
|KTF||Catholic Theological Faculty|
|LFHK||Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Králové|
|LFP||Faculty of Medicine in Pilsen|
|MFF||Faculty of Mathematics and Physics|
|PedF||Faculty of Education|
|PF||Faculty of Law|
|PřF||Faculty of Science|
|UDA||Institute of the History and Archive|
|UJOP||Institute for Language and Preparatory Studies|
13. A database is available at Charles University, but I can't get the full text of a particular article. What is the problem?
Not all documents in a specific full-text database are really full text available. In this case, please check if SFX service is available and see if the full text is available in another database. If you do not find the text in this way, contact your librarian or the contact person listed at source record here at PEZ Portal.
Are there any guidelines for remote access?
There are some in Czech
- LF2: Podrobný a intuitivní návod pro práci s portálem EZProxy
author: Radim Kubeš
- LF3: Jak se dostanu na e-zdroje z domova či z jiné než fakultní sítě
author: Miroslava Plecitá
15. What meaning has icons used at the Portal?
There are following icons used at the Portal:
16. What is SFX link resolver?
The SFX Link Resolver of Charles University provides connection to full-texts and other supplementary services of all available articles and ebooks. Connection is provided by the "SFX Button" and united menu of library services. Users are spared browsing one database after another and search the right one which contains the available document. In many cases is it enough to use one database only. Although it may contain just abstracts, users are guided to the right source by the SFX menu..
17. What information sources support linkinf via SFX link resolver?
Many licensed sources available at Charles University support this functionality – ProQuest, EBSCO, SpringerLink, Elsevier Science Direct, ... Linking via SFX is available also st eJournals Portal and eBooks Protal, at UKAŹ, Aleph or Google Scholar.
18. How does the SFX resolver work?
The SFX services run by a OpenURL technology - standardized format of Uniform Resource Locator. It contains all important metadata of searched document. These metadata are sent from a source (Ebscohost, Web of Science, Pubmed, Google Scholar, etc.) to the Link Resolver which keeps all locations of full-texts (including supplementary services) in its Knowledge Base. The Link Resolver compares the query with the data stored in Knowledge Base and generates an easy-to-read user menu containing all activated services.
19. Can I get more informations about SFX?
There are further information about SFX in Czech at Charles University SFX info pages.